Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Vegetable and Fruit List for Guinea Pigs

I have received a lot of feedback, especially recently, that one of the biggest challanges for a new guinea pig owner is figuring out what fruits and veggies to feed.  I've compiled a list of fresh foods that I have fed or plan to feed my guinea pigs.  Usually I alternate foods based on what is seasonal, what's on sale at the store, and what I already have in my fridge for our family.  This is not a complete list.  If you have specific foods in mind that you want to know are safe and do not see on here, feel free to ask on our facebook page, and then I can make edits to this list as necessary. 


 


 I feed leafy greens everyday, but because different greens have different nutritional content and some are very high in calcium or oxalic acid, I rotate between a few different kinds of leafy greens each week.  Fruits are high in sugar and sometimes acidity, so I tend to cut up these types of items very small for my guinea pigs to share- same with carrots.  It takes them more time to dig for the pieces and enjoy them.  Plus one guinea pig can't steal them all.  Plan to feed about 1 cup of veggies (and fruits) per guinea pig daily, either in a single feeding or portions throughout the day.


Here are the foods and how often I'd feed them:
  • Bell Peppers, rotate colors - Almost Daily (red & orange are high in sugar, feed small amounts)
  • Cilantro - Almost Daily
  • Romain lettuce - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Butterhead or Bibb Lettuce - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Red or Green Leaf Lettuce - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Endive - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Arugula - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Carrot - 4 or 5 times a week, 1 large carrot cut up feeds 2-3 guinea pigs (tops appreciated)
  • Zucchini - 4 or 5 times a week
  • Apple - 2 or 3 times a week
  • Chard, swiss or rainbow - 2 or 3 times a week
  • Parsley - 2 or 3 times a week (cilantro is better alternative(=)
  • Dandelion Greens - 3 or 4 times a week
  • Watercress - 2 or 3 times a week in small amounts
  • Yam - 2 or 3 times a week
  • Grapes, any color - 2 or 3 times a week, I only give a couple per guinea pig, halved
  • Pea Pods and Green Beans - 2 or 3 times a week
  • Kale, red or green - 2 or 3 times a week (smaller portions, mixed with other greens)
  • Celery - 1 or 2 times a week (prefer leaves, stalks need cut tiny to prevent choking on strings)
  • Collard Greens - 1 or 2 times a week
  • Cucumber - 2 or 3 times a week (mostly water content, zucchini is better alternative)
  • Tomatos - 1 or 2 times a week, cut small (acidity may cause mouth sores in high amounts)
  • Squashes, all kinds - 2 or 3 times a week
  • Corn on the Cob - 1 or 2 times a week, can feed silk and husk if not treated with pesticide
  • Pumpkin - 1 or 2 tims a week
  • Basil, Thyme, or Dill - 1 or 2 times a week
  • Beet Green Leaves - 1 or 2 times a week
  • Mustard greens - 1 or 2 times a week
  • Spinach - 1 or 2 times a week
  • Broccoli - 1 or 2 times a week (may cause gas)
  • Cabbage, any color - 1 or 2 times a week (may cause gas)
  • Brussel Sprouts - 1 or 2 times a week (may cause gas)
  • Banana - biweekly in small amounts
  • Oranges/tangerines - biweekly (acidity can cause mouth sores)
Aside from the above fresh foods, my guinea pigs always have Oxbow pellets, and timothy hay available.  I sometimes give them my homemade Cavy Crunches treats.  I also take them outside for grazing.  They rarely receive anything else.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the list.Always looking for something different to feed my piggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list. We are going to try some of these.
    Patty Hopper

    ReplyDelete